Sunday, November 15, 2015

Denuo GPS Hits Rev B + Dongles...

This is a quick update on the REF-0 projects I have going.

REF-0s running my Denuo GPS board. All lights green.

The Denuo GPS has hit Revision B. There were very minor changes to the original board, mainly to tweak the BOM. I have also hit firmware version 0.6, which I feel is very stable and reliable. There is always room for improvement, but I am close to calling the firmware "done".

I have also been thinking on what a Denuo GPS retrofit kit for the REF-0 would look like. One of the important steps in prepping a REF-0 for standalone operation is eliminating the need for the interface cable. I have covered multiple techniques for doing this in my previous posts. However, a kit would have to be as simple as possible to install. Looking for unlabeled pins on the bottom of a PCB and soldering fine bodge wires is not a good installation method. Neither is jamming wires into a DB15 socket. For that reason, I made this:

A dongle to replace the interface cable on the KS-24361 units.
It is effectively a "magic dongle" for the KS-24361. It jumpers the necessary pins to eliminate the other box and the interface cable. Plug it into a REF-1 and the unit turns on the outputs and operates standalone. Plug it into a REF-0, install a replacement GPS internally such as the Denuo board, and it hums away all by itself.

There will still be soldering involved in any REF-0 retrofit. But this dongle should greatly simplify things.

As for the Tria GPS board, that project is coming along slowly but surely. Attempting to implement Oncore UT+ compatibility is a big undertaking, but I've made good progress. I have a solid plan to get to the finish line.

That's all for now. I should have something interesting to post about in a week or two. It's a brand new project involving...FPGAs.

Thanks for reading!

- Dan W.

5 comments:

  1. Hey Dan, how's your Tria coming along?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, the project is alive and well. Unfortunately I hit snag on the Denuo GPS firmware, and it's taking a while to figure out. That has slowed down Tria firmware development. But I am still actively working on both, and I'll keep everyone updated when I have some notable progress!

      Delete
  2. Dan - I am really looking forward to this kit. I hope you are still plugging away on it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to submit these to OSHPark ??

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  4. What is the status on the denuo gps module?

    ReplyDelete